To be honest, I don't like sugar cookies most of the time.
They are either too hard & crunchy, or too soft & cakey, or so sweet that when you add frosting to the mix my teeth feel like they are going to fall out.
However, I got this recipe from a friend and I really liked how they turned out.
Good texture and perfect with frosting.
Preheat: 375 degrees F
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 teaspoons milk
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
1. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and milk. Mix until combined.
2. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Dough will be sticky.
3. Chill for 2 hours.
4. Roll out dough to desired thickness on floured surface and cut into shapes.
5. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 for 7-8 minutes, or until bottom edges are golden.
6. Cool on rack, then frost/decorate as desired.
Now, as long as i'm being honest, I don't have a frosting recipe...
because i also don't like homemade vanilla frosting most of the time.
(I know, I know. I'm a brat.)
I also don't enjoy making frosting...so I use Betty Crocker's rich & creamy vanilla.
It's smooth. And delicious. And ready-made. And I like it.
Now you know all of my sugar cookie related secrets. :)