Eek! I'm so thrilled about this project.
It might be my favorite thing I've made for the nursery. The funny thing is, I bought the canvas for 70% off with NO idea what I was going to use it for. I eventually settled on some kind of alphabet design and this is what I came up with...
Here's the scoop on how I made it...
I started by creating a new photoshop file the same size as my canvas--12 x 24. (Obviously, if you are making your own you can use any size you want.) Then I went to town with all of my different fonts, mixing styles and sizes as I did each letter of the alphabet. After I got all of the letters arranged how I liked, I played around with colors that match the scheme I've got going in the baby's room until I had a nice balance. This is what it looked like...
Then I saved my file as a pdf, opened it in Adobe Acrobat, and tile printed it. This created an actual size paper version of my design that I could use as a template. I used transfer paper and traced each letter onto my canvas.
I carefully painted in each letter, one color at a time.
(So...I did all the browns, then the charcoals, then the blues, etc.)
You can see that I also opted to do the background white rather than gray as I originally planned. The nice thing about printing an actual size template was I could take it in the room to make sure the colors worked. When I did so, I realized a white background would look better on the wall... and it was less labor intensive. Bonus! :)
Once all the paint was dry, I sealed it with a coat of matte Mod Podge and called it good.
The design turned out even better than I had imagined. I'm lovin' it!
It adds a colorful, graphic punch to the nursery's decor. I think it's going to look great with the other parts of the gallery wall I'm working on.
Hopefully Baby will love it as much as I do!